Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Poetry #1

1. The poem sampled in the Levi's commercial is "The Laughing Heart" by Charles Bukowski.

2. This could be considered ironic because it uses phrases such as "dank submission" and "your life is your life" but is asking you to submit to wearing clothing by one of the biggest corporations in America. You're only "you" when you are wearing the same jeans as everyone else?

3. The poem most definitely reflects the author's reputation. Bukowski was adamant in his refusal to submit to the mainstream which is another reason the use of his work in a Levi's commercial was so ironic. He often said things that other people were afraid to say or would refer to as crass but he did it anyway.


4. My research process was fairly simple. First I listened closely to the words in the advertisement and took note of some of the more important phrases. Next I headed over to trusty old google.com and searched for any poetry containing the noted phrases. I was referred to thebestamericanpoetry.typepad.com where I was able to find the name of the poem and full text as well as the author. I printed the page and read it along with the video to make sure I had the right information. Next I used the same website and found some information on Bukowski.

No comments:

Post a Comment